- Because Office 2016 is such a large program, it is recommended that you connect to the network using a wired Ethernet connection and disable your wireless connection before beginning this process in order to reduce the installation time.
- Please note that you must be on campus in order to install this program.
- Before you install Office 2016, you must first uninstall Office 2013.
Connect to the Server
- Type the following into the search bar: \\software.oc.edu\dist\microsoft\office
- Click the resulting file folder
Open the 2016 Folder
Double-click on the folder named 2016
Open the Setup File
Double-click the icon labeled setup
Allow the File to Run
This file will not harm your computer.
Accept the Terms
- Check the box next to I Accept the Terms of this Agreement
- Click Continue
Click Install Now
Clicking the "Customize" option allows you to choose which programs you would like to install. Clicking "Install Now" will download the entire suite available to you.
Allow the program to install.
This could take several minutes. Make sure your computer is fully charged or plugged in. If your computer shuts down during the installation, the programs could become corrupted.
- Success! You have successfully installed Microsoft Office 2016 on your computer.
- Click Close
Registering Your Product
Locate the Product Key.
The License.txt. file is located in the same folder as the Setup file. (\\software.oc.edu\dist\microsoft\office)
Double-click the License document. Keep this item open on your desktop or minimized. You will use it in a later step.
Entering the Product Key
Open a recently installed Microsoft Office Application. Any application will work for entering the product key. (Microsoft Word will be used in this example)
- Select Install Updates Only
- Click Accept
Open Other Documents
Click Open Other Documents
Go to Account
Change Product Key
Click Change Product Key
Open the License.txt file.
- Highlight the Serial Number.
- Right-click on the highlighted selection and click Copy
Paste the Product Key
Return to Microsoft Word. Click in the empty box at the bottom of the Product Key dialogue box.
- Right-click in the box and select Paste
- If the serial number is entered correctly a green checkmark will appear.
- Click Install
Click Yes to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
You have successfully installed Microsoft Office 2016 on Windows 10. If you experienced any trouble with the installation process or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Support Central. We would be happy to assist you!