The purpose of this editorial is to provide details on what a roommate group is, how a roommate group is created, and the importance of a roommate group.
What is a Roommate Group?
- A roommate group is a virtual link between students. It allows new and current students to select a specific person(s) to room with for the school year.
How big is a Roommate Group?
- It can be as few as 2 and as many as 8, depending on the apartment/suite/room you want to select.
How do I create a roommate group?
Step 1: Log into your MyOC Account
- Current Student: Go to www.oc.edu/myochome. Your user name and password will be your regular OC information.
- New Students: Go to https://signmeup.oc.edu. Your user name and password will be what was submitted to the Office of Admissions when you applied to OC. If you do not remember that information, please contact the Office of Admissions at (405) 425.5050.
Step 2: Select the 'Roommates' tab at the top of the page
Step 3: Choose a Term. The 'Term' will be the upcoming semester.
Step 4 (Option #1): Create a Roommate Group - Find Someone You Know
1. Obtain roommate code
You can obtain your friend's Roommate Code by asking them on the phone or by email.
Roommate Codes are private and are not published or searchable, so you will have to receive that information directly from your friend.
2. Enter in the roommate code & Send Invite
- Participants can enter the Roommate Code of someone they know by entering it under the “Find someone you know” tab.
- Select Send Invite. Roommates will be displayed after roommate codes are successfully entered.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 until all roommates are entered. You will need to complete this step for everyone you would like to be in your roommate group.
3. Roommate receives invitation
The roommate receives the invitation via email and through MyOC Home. A roommate request message will be seen under messages. They can either accept or deny the request. If accepted, the group members will be displayed.
***Invited roommates must accept the invitation to make the roommate group official.
4. Roommate accepts invitation and a roommate group has been created!
When all roommate codes have been entered and invites have been accepted, each group member will be
listed in the My Group box. If the entered roommate code is correct, but does not add the group member,
either the proposed roommate is ineligible to form a group (female with males, for example) or the
roommate is in a group with other participants.
Step #4 (Option 2): Create a Roommate Group - Search Profiles
If you don't have a specific person you are wanting to room with, but would still like a roommate, we have you covered! You can now search the profiles of other students to see if you can find a good match.
Here's how to search for a roommate:
- Click on 'Search resident profiles' tab.
- Profiles will appear. These profiles are students that answered the initial housing application questions like you. (importance of room cleanliness, sleep habits, field of study, etc.)
- If you want to send them an invitation to be your roommate, click 'Send Invitation'.
- If they accept, your roommate group is formed.
How can I find my roommate code?
- Log onto your MyOC Home account
- Your code will be listed at the top right hand side of the page next to your name.
*If you have a specific person(s) you are wishing to room with, you will need this code when creating your roommate group.
This section only applies to: Current students selecting their Fall Housing during the Spring semester.
What is the leader?
The leader selects the room for the group. No one else in the group will have access to select a room.
- They select and enter roommate(s) code(s)
- Send roommate invitations
- All potential roommates should give their roommate code to the group leader. This allows the group leader to choose a room and roommates for all participants who share the code, so it should not be shared lightly. The roommate code is always displayed on the homepage of each student
How do we pick the leader?
- The person that enters roommate(s) code(s) and sends invitations is the roommate group leader. Only one person can be the leader.
How does the group know who the leader is?
- When all roommate codes have been entered and invites have been accepted, each group member will be listed in the My Group box.
***If the entered roommate code is correct, but does not add the group member, either the proposed roommate is ineligible to form a group (female with males, for example) or the roommate is in a group with other participants.
How do I change the leader or leave a group?
To Change Leaders:
Adding or removing members or changing leaders may impact the group selection time. If so, the changes to selection time will be immediately apparent upon saving the changed group.
- The group needs to determine the person that can select the room at the designated date and time.
- Once a new leader is determined, login to your housing page.
- The current group leader may pass the “group leader” role to any other member of the group by selecting the “up arrow” next to the intended new group leader.
- New designated leader will appear under the Group Leader field.
To Leave a Group:
You can leave a group at any point until the room selection is finalized. When someone is removed from the group, an email notification is sent to all members of the group making them aware of the change to the group.
- The “group leader”(person who created the group) can add or remove any member to the group.
- To remove members, the group leader selects the red “X” button next
to the roommate to be removed, then saves the changes to the group.
- By selecting Leave Group, any member of the group can remove themselves
from a roommate group at any time until the selection is finalized.
- Any individual can also remove themselves from the group by clicking on the
red “X” button.
What if no rooms appear when the leader is selecting?
- The system will only show rooms that fit your group size. This means that the size of your group may determine your solution. You will need to add or remove members from your group to see more options.
- Since some apartments require a group of 4 you may need to add someone to your group so that it will show those apartments. Or, if you are a group of 4 and aren't seeing any options, you may need to split into smaller groups.
- For the dorms, we have rooms that fit groups from 1-8. If you aren't seeing the type of room you want and you are part of a group of 3 or more, the problem could be that your group is too small or too big for the remaining rooms. Suites in University House may be reserved whether or not the group fills the suite. Rooms in Tinius West may be reserved whether or not the group fills the room. Some suites in Tinius East and Wilson East and West are able to be reserved by groups of any size, while others are only available to groups of 8."
Please contact the Residence Life Office for assistance, or to be placed on a "wish list" if the type of room you want is not available at your selection time.
Adding or deleting members from roommate groups after a room has been selected
- Changes to a roommate group CAN NOT be made once a room has been selected. If a person needs to be added or removed from a group, you will need to contact the Office of Residence Life.
How does the system decide what time to allow our group to select?
Every person has a personal room selection date and time. Once a group is formed, the best selection date and time (of everyone in the group) will be given to the group.
- The person with the best date and time does not have to be the leader.
- Be sure the leader can select a room at that date and time. If they can't, a change in leaders needs to occur.
- If your group membership changes, your selection time may change as well.