Filling Out FAFSA


In order to be considered for government financial aid, a student must fill out a FAFSA (the Free Application fo Federal Student Aid) application each year. You can fill out a FAFSA online at The information on this page comes from


When to Apply


You should submit your FAFSA as soon as possible in order to receive the best possible financial aid. Submit your FAFSA during the first few months of the calendar year in which the academic year for which you are applying for aid begins (for example, submit a FAFSA for the 2015-2016 academic year during the first few months of 2015).



What You Will Need


The information/documents you will need to fill out the FAFSA includes:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
  • Your driver’s license number if you have one
  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
    • Foreign tax return and/or
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student


What to Do

FAFSA Website

  1. Go to to begin an application
  2. Click "Start A New FAFSA if this is your first time applying.
  3. Click "Login" if you already have a FAFSA account.
  4. Follow all instructions and prompts to submit your FAFSA.

For further assistance with filling out the FAFSA, visit the Department of Education's FAFSA help page. If you have questions, please contact OC's Financial Services Office.


Creating a PIN


You will be prompted to create a PIN (personal identification number) during the application process. You can also choose to create a PIN ahead of time. You must have a PIN to submit your FAFSA. The PIN acts as a legal signature for certain U.S. Department of Education websites.



Your FAFSA Password


You will create a password when filling out the FAFSA. This is not the same thing as the PIN. You will only need to use the password if you have to log back in to an unfinished FAFSA application.


What's Next?


Your OC Personal Financial Counselor will receive your financial aid information once your FAFSA has been processed. At this point, your PFC will correspond with you about your financial aid options as well as any additional information that she/he may need from you.


Contact Financial Services


  • Phone: (405) 425 - 5190 or (800) 877-5010, ext. 5190
  • Email:
  • Location: Financial Services is located in Gaylord Hall. (View Location)
  • Hours: 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday




Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk