Update Sophos (If Needed)
- Click the Sophos icon near the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select "Update Now" from the drop-down menu.
After Updating Sophos, Scan Your Mac
- Click on the Sophos icon again.
- Select "Scan This Mac" from the drop-down menu.
The above window should appear, and the virus scan should start. This scan could take several hours.
After the scan finishes, if any viruses are found, they will be put into the "Quarantine Manager." If a virus is in the Quarantine Manager, it cannot run. To open the quarantine manager, click the "Open Quarantine Manager" button on the completed scan.
The quarantine manager displays all known viruses. Select a virus that you would like to clean up
Clean Up Viruses
With the virus selected, follow these instructions:
- Click the lock and enter your password when prompted.
- Once you have been authorized to make changes, click "Clean Up Threat."
- \L \ A more detailed explanation of each of the cleanup options can be found on Sophos' website.
- If the cleanup button is not available, you may have to drag the file it points to into the trash to get rid of it. The Mac version of Sophos actually checks data on Windows, and these items cannot be removed from within Mac. If Sophos finds a virus in Windows, run a Sophos scan from within Windows to cleanup these viruses.
If you experience any problems or have any questions at any point during these scans, please contact Support Central; we can help you troubleshoot the issue. \LIf the virus continues to appear on your system after running these scans, bring your laptop into Support Central so that we can run additional scans for you.