Classes meeting online may benefit from using Blackboard Collaborate. Students can find information below to connect and use the software.
Access Blackboard Collaborate
- Navigate to bb.oc.edu and log in with your OC user credentials if prompted.
- Open your course.
- In the left-hand menu, choose the Blackboard Collaborate option. Instructors can name the link as they choose, so it may say Blackboard Collaborate, Collaborate, Online Class Access, or something similar.
- Each class will have a general course room.
- There may also be scheduled class sessions. Those sessions will be listed by date and time.
Click on the appropriate room. If there's a scheduled room for your class time, choose that one.
- Click Join Course Room to join the session using your computer's audio and video.
- If you would rather dial in using a phone for your audio, you can call the phone number listed and enter the PIN as the conference number. After you dial in, click on Join Course Room so you can see the video. This option may be preferable if you're connecting with a low bandwidth. You can change this option in the middle of the session if you're having trouble.
Allow Access to Microphone and Camera
Your browser may pop up and ask for permission to use your microphone. Click Allow.
An Audio Test will appear.
- Speak to test your microphone. (Don't worry. No one in the room can hear you yet!)
- If you notice movement, click Yes - It's working to proceed.
- If you're having trouble, click on the pull-down to select a different microphone.
- If it's still not working, click on No- I need help to get some troubleshooting steps.
Click Allow to allow access to your camera.
A video test will appear.
- If you can see yourself, click Yes - It's working.
- If not, click No - I need help for some troubleshooting steps.
Expand the sections below for detailed information about using Blackboard Collaborate.
The Collaborate menu can be activated by pressing the purple button in the bottom right hand corner.
In the Settings menu, you can edit your Audio and Video Settings
- Click on Audio and Video Settings to expand the menu
- Click on Set up Your camera and microphone to step through the setup again.
- The Dial In number is listed
- You can adjust your speaker volume.
In the Settings menu, you can edit your Notification settings
- Click on Notification Settings to expand the menu.
- Click on the checkboxes to edit the types of notifications you want to receive during class meetings.
The Attendees button will show the people that are currently in the class.
Click on the Chat icon to open the chat window.
If permitted by your instructor, you have two options in Chat.
- You can start a private chat with someone in the class. Type the name of a class member to find them and begin a chat with them
- You can chat with everyone. This is a great way to ask your instructor clarifying questions during a session.
Be careful what you say in your private chats! Moderators may supervise private chats between participants. There is a warning when moderators are supervising. If your instructor is recording the class session, chats to everyone will be recorded.
At the bottom of the screen, there's a menu that will allow you to quickly change your status and settings.
- Click on the person icon to change your status. These settings will allow you to easily communicate with your professor about the content they're presenting. You can ask the instructor to slow down or speed up. You can also send a notification that you're confused to give the instructor a change to clarify.
- Click on the microphone icon to turn on your microphone. We encourage you to leave the microphone off unless you need to speak.
- Click the video button to turn on your camera and share your video. This may be appropriate in small group discussions, but maybe not during large classes. Your instructor should tell you what their preference is.
- Raise your Hand to get the attention of your professor and let them know you have a question. This will allow them to call on you at an appropriate stopping point.
Because some of you will be living in different time zones or may have difficulty connecting at certain times, we have asked all teachers to record all of their live classes. If you can participate in class at the time regularly offered, you should. If you are not able to participate at the regularly scheduled time, please contact your teacher and explain why.
To find the recordings:
- Open Blackboard Collaborate (or Collaborate, Online Class Access, or something similar).
- Click on the Menu
- Click Recordings. The class recordings will be listed in the main section of the page.
You can find additional help resources at https://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra/Participant