Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard, OC's Learning Management System. LockDown Browser displays the assessment full-screen and prevents the use of other applications. If LockDown Monitor is used, your computer's camera will act as an online proctor.
Respondus provides this video overview of LockDown Browser and LockDown Browser Monitor
Launch LockDown Browser
- Close all programs.
- Start LockDown Browser on your computer.
- If prompted, either close a blocked program by choosing Yes, or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- When prompted, log in to Black Board with your OC Credentials
- Navigate to the test within the couse and select "Begin Exam."
Using LockDown with a Webcam (Respondus Monitor)
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is called Respondus Monitor.) Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required.
Follow steps 1-5 above to begin the exam.
If Respondus Monitor is required, you will be prompted to complete a webcam check where you can make sure the webcam is working properly. Additional steps may be required by your instructor, such as showing your identification, or recording a brief video of your examination setting.
Once the exam begins, a "Recording" icon will appear at the top right of the screen.
When the exam is submitted for grading the webcam will stop recording your you may exit LockDown Browser.
Monitor Recommendations - Testing Location and Setup
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted books, papers, other devices
- Before starting the text, know how much time is available for it, and that you’ve allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
LockDown Browser offers Help resources inside of LockDown
- Start LockDown Browser and log into BlackBoard.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base.