Oklahoma Christian University offers you a fast, reliable network to help you complete your work while you're a student at OC. There are two ways in which you can connect to this network:
- by plugging in your Ethernet cable (Wired Connection)
- by using the laptop's built-in wireless (Wireless Connection)
Choose Between Wireless and Wired Connections
There are some speed differences between the two; the wired network is faster than the wireless network. This is difference is rarely noticeable, unless you are doing something like streaming video from the Internet or installing a large program off the network. It is more noticeable if several people are all in the same room streaming video from the Internet.
If your wireless connections is insufficient, you should use a wired connection using an ethernet cable. It is usually a better idea to plug into a wired network line if one is available when doing network- or Internet-intensive activity (For example, streaming video or installing a class-specific application).
Check Your Wireless Connection
You can check the signal power of your wireless network antenna by locating the power indicator. If the connection is insufficient, consider switching to a wired connection using an ethernet cable if you need to do network- or Internet-intensive activity.
For Windows, the power indicator is in the bottom-right corner of your screen:
For Mac, the power indicator is on the top-right corner of your screen:
- If you see 4 bars, you have an excellent connection.
- If you see 2 bars, your connection is moderate to poor.
- If you see no bars, you either have a poor connection or you are disconnected from the wireless network.
Using an Ethernet Cable
An ethernet cable connects your computer directly to OC's network. You can plug one end of the cable into your computer and the other end into the wall in your dorm room, in your apartment, or at any desktop computer around campus.
Follow the instructions below to use the ethernet cable:
Disable Your Wireless Connection
The computer will continue using the first method of network access (wired or wireless) as when it started up, so it is possible that you still might be on the wireless connection even though you plugged it into the wall. You may need to disable your wireless for the wired connection to work.
- Click on the network icon at the bottom-right corner of your screen to reveal a drop-down menu.
- From the menu, select ""Network and Sharing Center."
- On the left panel, click "Manage network connections."
- You should see all your network connections there. Find the one that says wireless and right-click it too reveal a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Disable."
- Click on the AirPort icon at the top-right corner of your screen to reveal a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Turn AirPort off." This might interrupt your network connection temporarily, but it will ensure that you're on the wired network. When you are finished with your intensive activity, right-click on the meter, and click on Enable Radio. This will get you back to normal! It is very important that you turn the radio back on, because when you unplug from the wall, you will have no wireless connection!
To Disconnect from the Wired Connection and Reconnect to the Wireless:
- Unplug the ethernet cable.
- Enable the wireless internet.