This recipe is a workaround for adding images in test items or test answer choices in Blackboard. OC’s Test/Quiz Generator does not collect images when generating a test or pool.
Adding an Image to a Test Question
Before anything, import the test or pool into Blackboard. (You may create a marker in the test items with images to make them easily identifiable.)
- Check that the appropriate test/pool is imported into Blackboard (go to Course Management → Course Tools → Tests, Surveys, & Pools → Select type of assessment → Import test/pool).
- Select the appropriate test/pool by clicking the gray drop-down by the test/pool title and click Edit.
- Select the appropriate test item by clicking the gray drop-down by the question text and click Edit.
- Taking a screenshot: In the original test, take a screenshot of the image (or images, screen capturing groups images together into one image).
Mac screenshots are saved to the Desktop as “screenshot…” We recommend renaming screenshots so they are identifiable in the future.
a. Mac shortcut: ⌘+⇧+4 (Mojave OS: ⌘+⇧+5)
b. PC: use the Snipping tool (Locate: Start menu→ all programs→ accessories)
- Back to the Blackboard test/pool item, click on the image icon and select Browse My Computer
Accessibility: Please add alternate text in the image description.
- Click Insert.
- Preview the test/pool item to make sure it is where you want it. Any changes in placement can be made in the text box when editing.
Adding Images to Answer Choices in a Blackboard Test
**Note: All images to be used should be saved as a file in a location that you have access to prior to these steps.
Check the appropriate test/pool is imported into Blackboard
- Go to Course Management
- Click on Course Tools
- Click Tests, Surveys, & Pools
Select type of assessment
Edit the Test/Pool
- Select the appropriate test/pool by clicking the gray dropdown arrow by the test title
- Click Edit
Click the Question Settings box
Click the Question Settings box in the upper right
- In the Images, Files, and Web Links section check the box beside Add images, files, and web links to answers.
- Click Submit.
Edit Test Item
- Select the appropriate test item by clicking the gray drop-down by the question text.
- Click Edit.
Insert your image
Scroll down to the Answers you would like to insert an image in to.
- Click Choose File and find/select the image file to be used.
- Be sure to change the Special Action to Display the image within the page.
- Click Submit and Update Attempts
Repeat these steps for answers for which you want images to be inserted.