The lock system on campus has two main types of card readers. The instructions below will walk you through how to open a door and what the lights on the readers mean.
If the Reader Light is Green
- If the light on the badge reader is green, the door is unlocked. You may enter the building without swiping your badge.
If the Reader Light is Red or Off
- If the light on the badge reader is red or off, the door is locked.
If the Door is Locked
- If the door is locked and you swipe your badge across the reader, the light will turn green and you may enter the building.
- If you believe you should have access to the door, please contact Support Central.
The reader will flash green after reading a card to acknowledge the card, but that doesn't mean you have access to the door. If the light flashes green and then turns red again, you do not have access.
If the Light Alternates Red and Blue
- After swiping your badge across the reader, if the light alternates between red and blue, you are required to enter your PIN before the system will grant you access.
- Enter your PIN and the light will turn green, indicating you have been given access to the building.
If the Door Requires a Reader to Exit
- If there is a reader at an exit door, you must swipe your badge to exit the building.
- If you do not swipe your badge before exiting the building, an alarm will sound.
If you swipe your badge and you cannot exit the building, press the emergency release button located by the door or on the back side of the crash bar.
*35 - turn an alarm off
*45 - lock a door or group of doors
*46 - unlock a door or group of doors
How to use the command codes?
If you have permission to use the codes, either swipe your card or tap your card to the reader and then enter the command code.
If the Reader Light Flashes Green
- If the reader light flashes green after swiping your card, you have been granted access to the building or room.
If the Reader Light Flashes Red
- If the reader light flashes red after swiping your card, you have been denied access to the building or room.
If the Reader Light Flashes Yellow
- If the reader light flashes amber:
- Enter your PIN number.
If you do not know your PIN number, please see our instructions for finding your ID Security Card PIN Number
If the Reader Light Flashes Red after PIN
- If the reader light flashes yellow after you have swiped your card,
- Entered your PIN number,
- And then flashes red:
You do not have access to the building or room, or there is an issue with the door.
If the Reader Light Flashes Yellow and then Green
- If after swiping your card and/or entering your PIN
- The reader light flashes yellow,
- Then turns green and grants you access to the building or room:
The batteries are getting low on the reader. If and when this happens, please contact Support Central with your building and Room Number (Ex: CAH 115)
If the Reader Light Turns Solid Green
- For some campus doors (mainly office doors) the reader light will turn solid green after you have swiped your card. This means the door is already unlocked. Swiping your card while the light is still green will lock the door.