Use these instructions from your Windows-based computer to connect to Mac-based Lab Computers from off-campus.
Download and Install RealVNC Viewer
RealVNC offers free, secure VNC software.
- Navigate to https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/
- Click the link to download the Windows Viewer. Most users will need the 64-bit software. You can check your version of Windows in Settings>System>About. Whether you have 64-bit or 32-bit will be listed under the "System Type" heading
- Open the file that was downloaded to begin installing the software
Download and Configure Putty
2. Click the "MSI('Windows Installer'" matching the bit-version used for VNC(32 or 64 bit)
3. Finish installation with default settings.
Configure Putty Settings
1. Under "Saved Sessions create a session with preferred name.
2. Open the "SSH" options
Configure SSH settings as shown
1. Click "Tunnels" under "SSH"
2. Enter Source Port "5953"
3. Enter Destination "[VNC-address]:5900"
4. Ensure both boxes under "Port Forwarding" are checked
5. Click "Add"
- Navigate back to "Session"
- Select session created earlier.
- Enter VNC address in Host Name Box. This address will be supplied by your instructor.
- Click "Save"
- Select "Open" and log in
1. Open RealVNC
2. Enter "localhost:5953" in the address bar
3. Press "Enter"
If a pop-up box appears, press Continue
- Enter your OC username and password as prompted to gain access.